Freedompop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1:08 of running with music and Map MyRun used 78% of battery!!! (only 22% left)

2 posters

Go down

1:08 of running with music and Map MyRun used 78% of battery!!! (only 22% left) Empty 1:08 of running with music and Map MyRun used 78% of battery!!! (only 22% left)

Post by ken0arto Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:47 pm

The htc phone looks better than my iphone. Camera is nice. I really want to like it and use it but YIKES!! Only one hour and eight minutes of running with music and Map MyRun used 78% of battery!!! (only 22% left). Note: Nike Run, Stitcher, Pandora and Spotify didn't work, crashed, hung, black screen, won't start up, stall, don't work offline, et al.

Apps (that I haven't turned on) won't turn off using "force".

It tried the long list of quarantines method, but I want to use the phone and messaging from FreedomPop, and worse: the phone become very unstable.

Ideas before I have to return?

ken0arto

Back to top Go down

1:08 of running with music and Map MyRun used 78% of battery!!! (only 22% left) Empty Re: 1:08 of running with music and Map MyRun used 78% of battery!!! (only 22% left)

Post by jlummel Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:08 pm

There's a list of things that can help with battery life at How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life (extreme actions, but effective) and a good guide at How to Increase the HTC Evo 4G's Battery Life (more practical actions, but not as effective).

I did most of the things at the second link above and then changed my battery to a AceSoft 2280mAh battery (fits perfectly with no modifications, drop-in replacement) and that made a big difference. It was also the highest capacity battery I was able to find for this phone without having to do intensive research. Got 2 of these batteries on eBay as a package deal with a charger that charges both the phone and a separate battery simultaneously.

If you look at the battery usage on the phone, most of the time the backlight is using more than all the other services combined, yet is only on for a fraction of the time. As an example, I could be down to 75% battery and the battery stats reports that standby consumed 22% of the battery, Android background consumed 23% of the battery and the other 55% of the battery was consumed by the backlight (which is set at 20%-30% brightness).

The rub is that the cell standby and the background tasks report 5hrs of operation, while the backlight may have only been on for 6 minutes total. The single fastest way to kill the battery on this phone is to be playing with it and having the screen on all the time!

The math would indicate that in this instance I could get a bit more than an hour extra of standby or a bit less than an hour extra of talk time for every minute the backlight is being used, more if the backlight is set brighter than 20%-30%.

Or more practically stated, for every minute the backlight is in use, you loose an hour or more of standby time. So that 5 minute game just cost you 5 hours of standby time...

The phone is made to be used first and foremost as a phone, and only used sparingly as a mini-tablet.

James

jlummel

Back to top Go down