Freedompop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life.

+4
ken0arto
asdfasdf
Wilenski
Admin
8 posters

Go down

How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life. Empty How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life.

Post by Admin Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:36 am

*credits goes to the writer not me*

During the beta test, the FreedomPop Phone has been eating up battery exponentially. To remedy this battery issue, here are steps to have a long-lasting battery.

Step 1: Remove battery-intensive apps

Download App Quarantine from the Google Play Store.

Check the boxes for:

Android Live Wallpapers
App Sharing
Archive Viewer
Bookmark widget
Calculator widget
Calendar widget
Clock widget (only disable if you’re not using the clock on the home screen)
Connected Media
Facebook for HTC Sense
Friend Stream
GB_WeatherVideo_Base_40
HTC Hub
HTC Hub Widget
HTC Lock Screen
HTC Slide Show Wallpaper
HTC weather sync provider (only if you disable auto sync for weather)
HTC Weather Wallpaper
JETCET PRINT
JETCET PRINT Resources
Location Picker
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Mail
Mail Widget
Maps (you can enable it again when you need to use it)
Media Share
Messages Widget
Messaging (only disable if you’re using Google Voice, GrooveIP, Talkatone, SparePhone, or you  barely call anyone)
Music
Music Enchancer
Music Visualization Wallpapers
News
News Widget
People (keep the android one, but disable the HTC one)
Picasa Web Albums
Ringtone Trimmer
Setup
Streak live wallpaper
Streaming Media Player (use MXPlayer from the Google Play store; it’s much better)
TalkBack (disable only if you don’t have a disability)
Task Widget
Tasks
Tell HTC
Transfer
TrimIt
Uninstall_LinkedIn_FSPlugin
Visual Voicemail (if you’re using the free service, you don’t need this hogging battery)
Voice Dialer (google already implemented one)
Weather (this is the com.htc.android.WeatherLiveWallpaper)
Weather (this is the com.htc.weatheridlescreen)
Weather Provider
Weather Widget

Once all is checked, click the lock button to the upper right of the screen. Ignore any error messages.

Step 2: Install battery saving app

Choose from Easy Battery Saver, Juice Defender, Battery Defender, etc.
Each app has its own settings. Another article will explains how each works.

Step 3: Disable default connections

Disable 4G, Wi-Fi Hotspot, GPS, Bluetooth, Mobile Network, and Auto Sync.

Go to Wifi Settings and switch it to “Always” for Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep

In addition, install Wi-Fi Matic from the Google Play Store so it will automatically turn off Wi-Fi when you leave your home or office.

Also decrease brightness to 20% or less.

Step 4: Install Productive Apps
For free texting, install Google Voice
For your Microsoft Office replacement, install Kingsoft Office
For antivirus protection, install Lookout
For media, install MX Player
For browsing, add the “Adblock Plus” add-on to Firefox
For capturing documents for school or work, install CamScanner
For reading PDF, install Adobe Reader

Step 5: Analyze the Results

After I performed the tweaks, the phone can last (with minimal use) about 2-3 days without charging. (Note: This is only if you disable ALL the apps that I listed in Step 1. Actual mileage may vary.)

After the final tweaks, the apps running the background would be: (Note I said background)
Wi-Fi Matic
Google Voice
Lookout
Easy Battery Saver
HTC Location Service
Media
Google Services
Google Services
vDM Client
Touch Input

All the other apps are not running in the background or are disabled.

Other tweaks: I removed the clock from the homepage and instead put the Google search bar in the front and then all my apps under it.

By tweaking the FreedomPop Phone, you ensure that your HTC Evo Design 4G’s battery life would last longer.

*credits goes to the writer not me*

Last edited by Admin on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:42 am; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin

https://freedompop.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life. Empty Re: How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life.

Post by Wilenski Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:28 pm

This over doubled the usage of phone /battery life! - from completely dead in about 4 hours of light to no actual use, to usable all day or more than 8 hours of normal. I can now actually use the phone when I leave home and be able to make and receive calls - Thanks!

Wilenski

Back to top Go down

How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life. Empty Re: How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life.

Post by asdfasdf Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 pm

I only switched to GV and talkatone, disabled the FP apps, and added Wi-Fi matic and with rather light use, I'm at 24 hours, still with 50% battery. Pick and choose from this list what you want, but most of the quarantining is overkill.

Facebook and other apps use Auto Sync, which is a big drain. You can adjust it in settings > account & sync > pick your program, and increase the time between sync, or just turn it off.

asdfasdf

Back to top Go down

Post by ken0arto Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Disable the FP apps using quarantine?

ken0arto

Back to top Go down

Post by asdfasdf Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:08 pm

ken0arto wrote:Disable the FP apps using quarantine?
Yup.  If you have Google voice all set up, there's no need for the FP apps.  Theyre crazy battery hogs.  I have them quarantined rather than uninstalling them. I used AntTek app manager to freeze them, I assume this quarantine deal is the same.

asdfasdf

Back to top Go down

Post by dinomite Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:04 am

it's bloody sad. If FP were to outsource the programing to China/India, they wouldn't have this issue. pale lol! 

dinomite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilenski Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:09 pm

also, it maybe helpful in saving battery life to disable the automatic updates for apps in the Play Store App.

Has anyone found or have had any luck with a better or extended (mAh) battery for the phone?

Wilenski

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Wilenski wrote:also, it maybe helpful in saving battery life to disable the automatic updates for apps in the Play Store App.

Has anyone found or have had any luck with a better or extended (mAh) battery for the phone?

i was looking around on the websites like http://www.zerolemon.com and http://mugen.co/

but couldn't find it .. zero lemon guys are coming out with a battery for note 3 which is 10,000 mAh Shocked 

too bad i returned my note 3 Sad 

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by larryp Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:13 am

I've been able to extend my battery time between charges to over 24 hours. I typically make 2 to 3 short calls, several (around 10) texts and about an hour of non-wifi time per charge. I have a good cell signal when not on wifi.

What I did is as follows:

Configuring the HTC EVO Design 4G to automatically turn on Airplane Mode when connected to a Wi-Fi:

1. Make sure phone is connected to a Wi-Fi.

2. Install a configuration tool such as Airplane Mode Modifier then run the app (called Airplane Settings) and set airplane mode to always leave wifi on by unchecking Wifi.

3. Install Wifi Pilot from play.google.com.

4. Run the WiFi Pilot app and add your current Wi-Fi SSID to the Monitored SSID List then click ENABLE.

5. Open the phone Settings menu and select Wi-Fi. While in the Wi-Fi list, hit the menu button and select Advanced. Set the 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' to Always.

Doing the above will automatically turn off your cell radio when you have a known wifi connection and back on again when wifi is lost.
Even though the wifi is always on, the amount of battery used is miniscule when compared to the battery consumed by the cell radio with a weak cell connection as is often encountered indoors.

I'll try to answer any questions but my time in the forum will be limited over the holidays. All the apps have good documentation in the play store.

Enjoy!

larryp

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:16 am

larryp wrote:I've been able to extend my battery time between charges to over 24 hours. I typically make 2 to 3 short calls, several (around 10) texts and about an hour of non-wifi time per charge. I have a good cell signal when not on wifi.

What I did is as follows:

Configuring the HTC EVO Design 4G to automatically turn on Airplane Mode when connected to a Wi-Fi:

1. Make sure phone is connected to a Wi-Fi.

2. Install a configuration tool such as Airplane Mode Modifier then run the app (called Airplane Settings) and set airplane mode to always leave wifi on by unchecking Wifi.

3. Install Wifi Pilot from play.google.com.

4. Run the WiFi Pilot app and add your current Wi-Fi SSID to the Monitored SSID List then click ENABLE.

5. Open the phone Settings menu and select Wi-Fi. While in the Wi-Fi list, hit the menu button and select Advanced. Set the 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' to Always.

Doing the above will automatically turn off your cell radio when you have a known wifi connection and back on again when wifi is lost.
Even though the wifi is always on, the amount of battery used is miniscule when compared to the battery consumed by the cell radio with a weak cell connection as is often encountered indoors.

I'll try to answer any questions but my time in the forum will be limited over the holidays. All the apps have good documentation in the play store.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the tips !

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilenski Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 pm

I have tried and experimented with many things on the Freedompop Phone to increase they battery life and still have the phone functioning as needed. I have found this is currently working for me:

I offer this tip/suggested possible solution,  that I find a plausible for me to make use of the phone:

I now have NOT uninstalled/ Frozen /nor blocked the FB Messing app from running, but now use an App called Greenify to "suspend" the Messing App that kills the battery.  All I have to do to make a call or accept calls w/ the Freedompop phone number is to open the Messaging App and attempt to make a call and then the Freedom will register to make VOIP calls on phone (The first attempt will only register FP VOIP (Msg. App.) to make and accept calls, will have to make your call at a second attempt to complete the call!).  The Greenify app keeps it Messaging app from running at boot-up or in the background, but will only run when you  need (You will have to manually opened the Messing App and attempt to make  a call, thus registering)  This saving the battery and making the phone able to last as needed!

I hope this may help anyone in need of the phone, but cant leave home with it because it dies in a few house of use.  I have been able to get thru 8 hours away from home (w/ normal use: just fe VOIP calls and Email and Messaging) doing this along with other suggested tips I have found here.

This has been working for me and has helped me use the phone away from needing charge in 2-3 hours / and I am able to leave home w/ the phone and is usable when needed! Smile

The Greenify App is on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify&hl=en

(P.S. I am using the Battery Doctor App and I always press the power button to turn off the screen/sleep after using the phone. The Battery Doctor App I have set to automatically kill all apps not needed for phone to function this incl. the Messing App - thus saving the battery life again until phone calls are needed!

The Battery Doctor App I am using was suggested by the OP and available on the Play Store at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ijinshan.kbatterydoctor_en&hl=en )  you will have to set it up kill /save battery as needed.  There is a forbid at running/boot and a white list you will need to set up for the app to conserve the battery life to your needs)

Wilenski

Back to top Go down

Post by jlummel Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:09 am

Wow!

I used the battery saving tips from the EVO 4G wiki page, upgraded my battery to a 2280mAh battery (stock battery is only 1520mAh), I run all the updated FP apps and freeze nothing and use no other battery management software, and I live in a 3G area. I keep the WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS off unless I'm actively using them as well.

Yesterday I was gone for most of the day and went more than 11 hours without charging my phone. I took 2 short phone calls of about 2 or 3 minutes each and did a text message or two and when I got home I had 48% of my battery left (the math indicates I would have had 33% of the stock battery left, had I been using it instead).

What I found is that every minute or so of screen/backlight use costs me about an hour of standby time with brightness at 20%-30%. If my screen is brighter then I will loose more standby time per minute of screen/backlight usage. Check the battery in Settings every so often to get a feel for how much battery your screen/backlight uses compared to the other categories of battery usage and work from that.

The key to long battery life is to keep the screen/backlight off! Of course, the higher mAh battery helps...

jlummel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 am

jlummel wrote:Wow!

I used the battery saving tips from the EVO 4G wiki page, upgraded my battery to a 2280mAh battery (stock battery is only 1520mAh), I run all the updated FP apps and freeze nothing and use no other battery management software, and I live in a 3G area. I keep the WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS off unless I'm actively using them as well.

Yesterday I was gone for most of the day and went more than 11 hours without charging my phone. I took 2 short phone calls of about 2 or 3 minutes each and did a text message or two and when I got home I had 48% of my battery left (the math indicates I would have had 33% of the stock battery left, had I been using it instead).

What I found is that every minute or so of screen/backlight use costs me about an hour of standby time with brightness at 20%-30%. If my screen is brighter then I will loose more standby time per minute of screen/backlight usage. Check the battery in Settings every so often to get a feel for how much battery your screen/backlight uses compared to the other categories of battery usage and work from that.

The key to long battery life is to keep the screen/backlight off! Of course, the higher mAh battery helps...
link to expandable battery, please.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jlummel Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Admin wrote:
link to expandable battery, please.
On eBay, from a seller that's US based, at:

2x 2080mA EXTENDED LIFE BATTERY FOR BOOST MOBILE HTC EVO DESIGN 4G Charger Cable.

How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life. $T2eC16F,!ykFId4j01rfBSZhMjEyrw~~60_1

I'm using one of the batteries but haven't tried the charger yet (though I like the idea of being able to charge the battery outside of the phone AND the phone at the same time).

The batteries I received are marked AceSoft 2280mAh and fit perfectly in place of the stock battery. And after leaving the phone to charge all night turned off, I'm seeing the benefits of the extended battery life. It takes the edge off of the stress caused by running low at the end of the day when you can't charge or forgot to charge the battery.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the key to long stand-by times with this phone is leaving the screen/backlight off. You can verify what I'm saying by periodically viewing the battery usage graphs in the settings.

BTW- forgot to mention in my earlier message that I replaced the clock/weather app that came stock on the Design with HD Widgets on my main screen and I have it set to update the weather information every hour. It's also cool in that it has widget buttons that allow you to control things like screen brightness that really give you better control than the stock widgets.

How to Increase HTC 4g design Battery life. 969158_314443462027117_244478202_a

jlummel

Back to top Go down

Post by ocakavy Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:54 pm

How much did those batteries cost you?

My phone fully charged and unplugged at around 7:30am and its already down to 63% at 1:50pm. I used the phone to instant message someone once only.
Anyone know if the replacement battery freedompop sends for free are any better or will it be the same?

ocakavy

Back to top Go down

Post by jlummel Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:45 pm

ocakavy wrote:How much did those batteries cost you?

My phone fully charged and unplugged at around 7:30am and its already down to 63% at 1:50pm. I used the phone to instant message someone once only.
Anyone know if the replacement battery freedompop sends for free are any better or will it be the same?
You can click on the eBay link and find out the current price ($24.27 right now).

The replacement battery FP sends are the same capacity as the battery already included. It would give you an extra battery to replace a spent battery on the fly though.

But the math shows that you are getting about 6 hours of standby on 47% of your battery, so check the battery usage statistics to see what's consuming the most power and work back from there to decrease battery usage. Bad reception areas drain the battery very fast as well, so look to see signal connection time for the phone standby power category in the battery stats to see if you have signal problems, etc.

On mine I know I can decrease battery usage quite a bit more if I added a app manager for controlling background apps. Make sure you are using every tip you can from the earlier messages in this thread.

James

jlummel

Back to top Go down

Post by dinomite Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:20 pm

let me ask y'all this ...is worth it? the headache of battery drain so quickly....if y'all looking for free phone service, why not use any freedompop's wifi hotspot with any smartphone/Apple Itouch to get free phone/text services (googlevoice!)?

dinomite

Back to top Go down

Post by jlummel Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:28 pm

dinomite wrote:let me ask y'all this ...is worth it? the headache of battery drain so quickly....if y'all looking for free phone service, why not use any freedompop's wifi hotspot with any smartphone/Apple Itouch to get free phone/text services (googlevoice!)?
I have an Overdrive Pro and you have the same issues with battery life, not to mention having to both purchase another piece of equipment and then hauling both of them around.

I originally wanted to use the Overdrive Pro in a similar manner to what you describe with my Asus Transformer Prime tablet. It just wasn't workable, though I do use it as just a limited use hotspot when I travel, so I'm glad I got one.

Is free worth the effort with the Freedom Phone?

In my case yes, since I don't lean heavily on my cell phone for phone services or for android use. I only turn on my cell when I leave the house and turn it back off when I return home and simply wanted a mobile data device that would allow me to look up things on the Internet when I need too and to look up reviews and prices of items I'm thinking of purchasing in a store (what I had thought about doing with the tablet and the Overdrive Pro, but it didn't work that well logistically).

If I really needed cell phone service 24/7 and leaned heavily on the data services of the phone, then I would have to abandon the Freedom Phone for that purpose right now as it's current offering is not up to that task.

But I'm moving from a Tracfone with almost 3000 minutes on it and only a little more than a month of service days left that is costing me $12 a month to maintain. With the Freedom Phone I'm paying the $2.50 for voicemail because when I DO need it, I REALLY NEED it. So I'm moving from spending almost $144 a year on phone service to only $30 a year AND increasing the usability of the cell phone exponentially (my Tracfone LG800 isn't a smartphone, it's one of those  phones that's merely 'clever').

I could never take credit cards on my old Tracfone, nor video conference with friends and clients. Or pull up a map of the surrounding area with me smack dab in the middle of it. I may only do these things once a month or even once a year, but it's all FOB with the Freedom Phone.

So, YES, for some of us it's worth it!

James

jlummel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down